• Effective March 1, 2023 and until further notice, our office will no longer issue certified copies of Birth or Death Certificates of individuals who were born or died outside of Watauga County.  Please contact the county in which the birth or death occurred to find out how to order the certificate online.  We are also unable to initiate Vital Record Amendments of any kind at this time.  We do have amendment forms available to the public that can be completed and submitted directly to NC Vital Records in Raleigh, or you may contact them at 919-733-3000 for assistance.  We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that soon the implementation of a new system at NC Vital Records will allow us to resume these services.

  • Document Search

  • What records are available on the website?

    Indexes and images for land records since 1872 are on this site.  You may search by name or book/page.  For documents recorded prior to 2/22/1985 click on the Old Index Books tab.

  • Why are documents recorded in both Deed Books and Book of Records? What is the difference?

    Effective 2/22/1985, all land records were consolidated into Book of Records starting with Book 1.  Prior to this time, deeds were recorded in Deed Books and Deeds of Trust in Deed of Trust Books.

  • Are there specific indexing guidelines?

    Yes. Effective 1/1/1995 North Carolina implemented indexing standards. Copies of these standards are available in the Watauga County Register of Deeds office.
    Click here for words abbreviated from 1/1/1995 to 6/29/2012.
    Click here for indexing standards effective 7/1/2012.

  • Are plats located on the website?

    Yes.  All recorded plats may be searched by book/page or by subdivision or property owner name as grantor, regardless of recording date.


  • Land Records

  • How do I find out who is the owner of a particular piece of property?

    You will need to contact the Watauga County Tax Mapping Department at 828-265-8030.

  • How do I find out if there are any liens or judgments on real property?

    You must call the Watauga County Clerk of Superior Court at 828-265-5364.

  • Are Wills filed in the Register of Deeds office?

    No. Wills are filed in the Watauga County Clerk of Courts office.

  • Can I obtain a copy of my separation agreement and divorce in the Register of Deeds office?

    Separation agreements can be obtained in the Register of Deeds office, but divorces are filed in the Clerk of Courts office.

  • Can anyone obtain information on file at the Register of Deeds office?

    Yes, all records filed in the Register of Deeds office are public records with the exception of military discharges that have been on file less than 80 years.

  • Does a deed have to be recorded?

    After a deed has been drawn up, it should be recorded as soon as possible. Failure to record a deed could render the transfer or mortgaging of the property impossible to prove and create legal difficulties.

  • Can I draft my own deed?

    The answer to this is yes, you can. However, it is highly recommended that you retain the services of an attorney.

  • How do I remove a name from or add a name to my deed?

    You will need a new deed drawn up and filed. It is recommended that you consult an attorney. Forms are not available in the Register of Deeds office.

    Click Here for recording standards effective July 1, 2002.


  • test

  • test