Military Discharges (DD214)

Is there a cost for filing or getting a certified copy of my Military Discharge?
No. There is no fee for filing a military discharge. Certified copies of military discharge documents are free to military veterans.

What do I need to record a Military Discharge?
The entire original DD214 is required and a Drivers License with photograph, State issued Identification Card, Passport or Military Identification Card with photograph.

Are the Discharges viewable to the public?
No. NCGS 47-113.2 does not allow these documents available for public viewing if they have been on file for less than 80 years. There are restrictions on who may have a copy of the Discharges. Authorized parties are:

The subject of the document.
Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing:

  • by the subject or subject's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
  • by a court to represent subject, or
  • by the subject's executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject.

Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense or a court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives

Do I have to come in person to request a copy of my DD214?
Yes. We are unable to comply with a request for a copy or request for information made by mail, fax or e-mail for discharges that have been on record less than 50 years unless it comes from Division of Veteran’s Affairs and an Authorization Form issued by NC Dept. of Administration accompanies the request form. Veterans who live outside of NC should contact the Veterans Service Officer in their county or state and ask that they contact the NC DVA for assistance. We also do not supply any specific information from a discharge record in response to phone requests.